You've probably been seeing DTC TV ads for several different osteoporosis drugs these days. No longer does Sally Field dominate the airwaves hawking Genentech's Boniva. AMGEN's twice-per-year injectable Prolia, for example, is now competing with once-per-month injectable Boniva.
Unlike Boniva, however, Prolia does not have a celebrity spokeswoman. What it has are "Women Like You."
The Prolia website prominently displays the option titled "Stories from women like you." Below is a screen shot of that option showing Karen, 71, who talks about Prolia.
Unfortunately, neither Karen nor any of the other "women like you," is an actual patient. Their stories, AMGEN claims, are "examples of typical patients--not the experiences of actual patients." Maybe it's difficult to get real patient stories for a new drug. I've heard from posts on CafePharma that sales of Prolia suck big time because few GPs want to prescribe a new, unproven biologic that remains in the body for a whole year. Plus there are re-imbursement issues.
Karen tells her story AS IF she were a real patient and provides details of how she fractured her left wrist. "I should be glad it wasn't my right [wrist]," says Karen. "My doctor said, 'Karen, you didn't get a fracture from being clumsy. You got a fracture from weak bones.'"
[BTW, I love the new age music in the background!]
Karen mentions that she is doing "everything my doctor told me to do to strengthen my bones." At first -- within the first two minutes of the video -- she only mentions getting a "shot every six months," which she "likes" and says"works for me." Later on, Karen does mention calcium pills, exercise, etc.
While Karen doesn't mention specific side effects, some specific side effects do pop up in the video frame in mouse-sized type that is difficult to read -- especially, I imagine, for older women. The last 2 minutes of the video highlights the important safety information using a scrolling text screen and a voiceover.
Perhaps, over time AMGEN will collect stories from ACTUAL patients to replace Karen and other "not actual patients" on its website. Meanwhile, I remain queasy about actors portraying "typical" patients in drug ads. Has the FDA issued any guidelines regarding what constitutes a "typical patient" in drug ads? FDA has issued warning letters about actors whose dialogue overstates benefits or downplays risks, but I don't recall any letter that questioned whether or not the portrayal is "typical."
Suppose, instead of a typical patient, AMGEN had a video of a "typical" physician? Would the FDA (or AMA for that matter) rise up and challenge the concept of a typical physician?
It seems to me that allowing drug marketers to use actors to portray what is labeled a "typical patient" is worse than using actual patients who tell real stories stories, even if those stories are not typical. At least we can challenge the veracity of "real" stories versus "typical" stories.
- Competitors Are "Best Source" of Complaints About ...
- FDA's Proposed Web Study Will Further Delay Social...
- YouTube Interruptus! Dear WhyInsulin: WHY the Drea...
- Who Regulates Press Releases? The Case of Bayer's ...
- FDA Plans to Test New Standard for Easy to Underst...
- Proof That Pharma Marketing Works: Lovaza sold mor...
- FDA's Bad Ad Program is "Phoniest Thing Ever!"
- A New Estimate of Drug Development Cost
- Consumer Use of Email Declines, but Association De...
- Republicans Favor Government Health Care Coverage ...
- Did Boehringer Mishandle This Adverse Event Report...
- Is the Nasonex Bee on Twitter? Or Is This an Impos...
- Pharma Even More Digitally Feeble When it Comes to...
- (Little) Used Drug for Sale. GSK Says, Bye Bye All...
- Ad Dollars Follow Eyeballs to Web
- Phil Mickelson is Now Regulated by FDA
- printable coloring pages fruits
- Bunny & Daffy Duck Playing Basketball Coloring Pag...
- Bunny Baseball Coloring Pages
- Sales Team Workshop
- Caption My Freaky Photo Competition #1
- Sandra Echeverria (Galeria 2)
- Smile Face Bunny Coloring Pages
- Bunny Eating Carrots Coloring Pages
- printable coloring pages flower
- printable coloring pages fish
- printable coloring pages crocodile
- printable coloring pages balloon
- free printable coloring pages batman
- FaceBook Tweaks "Whitelisting" - No Problem for Ph...
- Shoegasm and Fawk You Friday
- Goose Coloring Page
- What Level of Engagement Do Members Really have wi...
- OMG! They Give Awards for the Most Money Spent Lob...
- teacher dragonball coloring pages
- litle Girl On animal Dog coloring pages
- free dragonball picture coloring pages
- cute animal dog coloring pages
- animal dog and bone coloring pages
- Rabbit and Chicken Easter Egg Coloring Pages
- Friday Eve and a Burger Pie. Thats the Shizzle!
- The Rabbit Painting Easter Eggs Coloring Pages
- TANGLED RAPUNZEL COLORING PAGE
- So You Think You Can Vlog? ♥ Giveaway ♥
- happy bear baby coloring pages
- flying kites bear coloring pages
- cute bear coloring pages
- cute bear and star coloring pages
- bear with love coloring pages
- Aeromozas de Mexicana (Playboy)
- Thought this was an April Fools Day Joke
- Easter Basket Coloring Page
- Weave Social Media Into Your Marketing Strategy
- Regarding Social Media Advice & Guidelines, PhRMA ...
- Brits Beat FDA & PhRMA: Issue Social Media Guidanc...
- Zdzisław Beksiński
- girl on animal horse coloring pages
- dancing on animal horse coloring pages
- animal horse and boy coloring pages
- animal horse cowboy coloring pages
- animal Gold fish coloring pages
- Foul Language
- Sherlyn Gonzalez (Galeria 3)
- 2 Love Heart Coloring Pages
- Love 2 Fish Coloring Pages
- Bunny Coloring Page
- Amgen's Prolia Website Features Stories from "Typi...
- enemy dragonball coloring pages
- dragonball with friends coloring pages
- baby dragonball coloring pages
- angry dragonball coloring pages
- alone dragonball coloring pages
- Music Monday
- bear with friend coloring pages
- bear with bag coloring pages
- bear running coloring pages
- Bear playing with friends coloring pages
- bear playing drum coloring pages
- Easter Eggs Coloring Pages
- ALICE IN WONDERLAND FREE PRINTABLE PARTY INVITATIO...
- Brazillian Blow
- sleeping bear coloring pages
- wearing earphones bear coloring pages
- sitting bear coloring pages
- ice cream drink bear coloring pages
- happy bear coloring pages
- Mariana y Camila Davalos (Galeria 7)
- bear drinking with friends coloring pages
- bear coloring pages will fly
- bear cooking coloring pages
- bear and the sun coloring pages
- bear and friends coloring pages
- The Ultimate Blog P-A-R-T-Y
- What are the Biggest Impediments to Membership Gro...
- PhRMA Statement on FDA Social Media Guidance Delay...
- ▼ April (95)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (115)