Recall that last summer Phil Mickelson was quoted in the press as saying he was treating his Psoriatic Arthritis with ENBREL. He was also quoted as saying: "I have no aches and pains. My back feels great. I feel stronger and more flexible than I've ever been" (see here).
At that time, Phil may or may not have been in talks with AMGEN/PFIZER to sign on as a celebrity spokesperson, but the simultaneous appearance of multiple news stories featuring Phil & ENBREL sure looked like an audition to show AMGEN/PFIZER what he could do for them.
During last week's 2011 Masters Tournament, Phil finished tied for 27th place! Consequently, I didn't see much of him on TV hitting a golf ball. I did, however, see a lot of him on TV ads for ENBREL. Now that he is featured in ENBREL TV ads, everyone knows he is a paid spokesperson. I have no problem with that, especially that now his commercial speech is regulated by the FDA and he can no longer make outlandish statements such as the one above.
Instead, the best he can now say is "I'm surprised how quickly my symptoms have been managed" (watch the commercial here). Also included is all the scary side effects of this drug, which Phil didn't mention in his media interviews BEFORE becoming a paid spokesperson.
BTW, I DID see Phil hitting golf balls on TV last week! But it was in an ENBREL ad! I noticed in that ad that Phil misses a chip shot! What's up with that? Seems to add insult to injury.
Maybe if the ad showed him getting the ball in the hole from the rough, the FDA might have sent AMGEN/PFIZER a letter complaining that this could be interpreted as overstating the benefits of ENBREL.
Actually, Phil is shown making a putt in the beginning of the ad, when recalling how he felt like he was at the top of the world. The missed chip shot appropriately came during the fair balance portion of the ad. The part that everyone hates!
I don't think the American public realizes the amount of thought that goes into these ads! If it wasn't for the FDA, much less thought would be needed and we wouldn't have people like me studying these ads and interpreting hidden meanings! (For the ultimate analysis hidden meanings in drug ads, see "Ruth Day and the Bees Repeat Performance at House DTC Hearing".)
P.S. Here's a little math/ROI problem thanks to a Twitter pal of mine. Assuming AMGEN/PFIZER spent $14 million to retain the endorsement of Phil Mickelson (not counting the cost of ad creative or media buys), how many ADDITIONAL doses of ENBREL will have to be sold to break even?
- Competitors Are "Best Source" of Complaints About ...
- FDA's Proposed Web Study Will Further Delay Social...
- YouTube Interruptus! Dear WhyInsulin: WHY the Drea...
- Who Regulates Press Releases? The Case of Bayer's ...
- FDA Plans to Test New Standard for Easy to Underst...
- Proof That Pharma Marketing Works: Lovaza sold mor...
- FDA's Bad Ad Program is "Phoniest Thing Ever!"
- A New Estimate of Drug Development Cost
- Consumer Use of Email Declines, but Association De...
- Republicans Favor Government Health Care Coverage ...
- Did Boehringer Mishandle This Adverse Event Report...
- Is the Nasonex Bee on Twitter? Or Is This an Impos...
- Pharma Even More Digitally Feeble When it Comes to...
- (Little) Used Drug for Sale. GSK Says, Bye Bye All...
- Ad Dollars Follow Eyeballs to Web
- Phil Mickelson is Now Regulated by FDA
- printable coloring pages fruits
- Bunny & Daffy Duck Playing Basketball Coloring Pag...
- Bunny Baseball Coloring Pages
- Sales Team Workshop
- Caption My Freaky Photo Competition #1
- Sandra Echeverria (Galeria 2)
- Smile Face Bunny Coloring Pages
- Bunny Eating Carrots Coloring Pages
- printable coloring pages flower
- printable coloring pages fish
- printable coloring pages crocodile
- printable coloring pages balloon
- free printable coloring pages batman
- FaceBook Tweaks "Whitelisting" - No Problem for Ph...
- Shoegasm and Fawk You Friday
- Goose Coloring Page
- What Level of Engagement Do Members Really have wi...
- OMG! They Give Awards for the Most Money Spent Lob...
- teacher dragonball coloring pages
- litle Girl On animal Dog coloring pages
- free dragonball picture coloring pages
- cute animal dog coloring pages
- animal dog and bone coloring pages
- Rabbit and Chicken Easter Egg Coloring Pages
- Friday Eve and a Burger Pie. Thats the Shizzle!
- The Rabbit Painting Easter Eggs Coloring Pages
- TANGLED RAPUNZEL COLORING PAGE
- So You Think You Can Vlog? ♥ Giveaway ♥
- happy bear baby coloring pages
- flying kites bear coloring pages
- cute bear coloring pages
- cute bear and star coloring pages
- bear with love coloring pages
- Aeromozas de Mexicana (Playboy)
- Thought this was an April Fools Day Joke
- Easter Basket Coloring Page
- Weave Social Media Into Your Marketing Strategy
- Regarding Social Media Advice & Guidelines, PhRMA ...
- Brits Beat FDA & PhRMA: Issue Social Media Guidanc...
- Zdzisław Beksiński
- girl on animal horse coloring pages
- dancing on animal horse coloring pages
- animal horse and boy coloring pages
- animal horse cowboy coloring pages
- animal Gold fish coloring pages
- Foul Language
- Sherlyn Gonzalez (Galeria 3)
- 2 Love Heart Coloring Pages
- Love 2 Fish Coloring Pages
- Bunny Coloring Page
- Amgen's Prolia Website Features Stories from "Typi...
- enemy dragonball coloring pages
- dragonball with friends coloring pages
- baby dragonball coloring pages
- angry dragonball coloring pages
- alone dragonball coloring pages
- Music Monday
- bear with friend coloring pages
- bear with bag coloring pages
- bear running coloring pages
- Bear playing with friends coloring pages
- bear playing drum coloring pages
- Easter Eggs Coloring Pages
- ALICE IN WONDERLAND FREE PRINTABLE PARTY INVITATIO...
- Brazillian Blow
- sleeping bear coloring pages
- wearing earphones bear coloring pages
- sitting bear coloring pages
- ice cream drink bear coloring pages
- happy bear coloring pages
- Mariana y Camila Davalos (Galeria 7)
- bear drinking with friends coloring pages
- bear coloring pages will fly
- bear cooking coloring pages
- bear and the sun coloring pages
- bear and friends coloring pages
- The Ultimate Blog P-A-R-T-Y
- What are the Biggest Impediments to Membership Gro...
- PhRMA Statement on FDA Social Media Guidance Delay...
- ▼ April (95)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (115)